One of the things that most people struggle with when it comes to getting fit is motivation. Does this sound familiar?
Do you find that you often have a week where you’re dedicated, motivated and on the ball, only to find you're struggling to maintain that same momentum the following week? You’re not alone!
This is one of the most common challenges when it comes to achieving health goals. However, all is not lost! If you're struggling to reach those fitness health goals, then here are some tips to help you overcome those hurdles (no pun intended!).
- Write down your reasons for wanting to get fit and healthy in the first place: One of the ways that you can make sure you stick with your goals and keep those motivation levels high is by writing down your reasons for wanting to get fit and healthy, to begin with - essentially, figuring out your 'why'. By writing down a list of reasons for wanting to achieve these goals, you will reinforce them; this will help you to keep your eyes on the prize. Write down your 'why' and pin it up somewhere visible so you'll be able to remind yourself why you're aiming for those goals whenever procrastination or demotivation strike.
- Consider hiring a health coach: Another way that you can ensure that your motivation levels stay high, is by hiring a health coach. There are a lot of great fitness coaches out there today, and there are a lot of benefits that you can expect from working with a health business. For example, a health coach is going to help you to understand nutrition and ensure that you are educated about what you are putting into your body. When you are educated, you naturally make better decisions. Not only this, but you will have someone who will hold you accountable, and this can make a massive difference. You are going to be much more likely to stick to your health routine if you have someone who is going to be checking up on you.
- Keep a health and fitness journal: I love journaling and another motivation technique is to keep a health and fitness journal. Keep a food diary as well as document your fitness regime and accomplishments. You can also write down how you felt during the day as well. Keeping a record of your mood is a great way to know what works for you and what doesn't - therefore you can tailor your day to suit your goals!
- Find a fitness buddy: A Fitness buddy is someone who you can exercise with, lean on for support and someone to keep you accountable towards your goals. If you are not able to find anyone in your family or friendship group who is committed to being healthier, why not join an online forum instead? There are a lot of great forums online nowadays for weight loss, fitness, and nutrition, and the majority of them are free of charge. These are a great option where you can communicate with like-minded people, share tips, and find answers to any queries that you may have as well.
- Set mini-goals: Big goals can seem out of reach and daunting; setting big goals can sometimes feel like the end is never in sight. Setting smaller goals which you can achieve in a shorter space of time, will keep you motivated to achieve those larger goals - after all, there's nothing like ticking off a massive 'to-do' to keep you motivated!